Researchers: Péter Róbert and Matild Sági
The Higher Education as a Generator of Strategic Competences (HEGESCO) project addresses two broad questions: (a) which competences do higher education graduates require in order to be better equipped for labour demand and active citizenship? and (b) how should higher education institutions develop these competences? HEGESCO consists of the following work packages and tasks, which have been designed to provide answers to the above two questions:
- Implementation of a quantitative survey among graduates in the participating countries (Slovenia, Lithuania, Hungary, Poland and Turkey) following the REFLEX recommendation: the target population consists of graduates of ISCED 5A to be approached some 5 years after graduation (sample = 2000 per country). This large scale survey is based on the questionnaire of the REFLEX network, an earlier FP6 project involving research on similar topics, and is designed to ensure comparability with the previous results of REFLEX.
- In addition to the survey among graduates, another complementary survey will be carried out targeting the management of the higher education institutions these graduates have attended, with the emphasis on their existing curricula development strategies and organisation of teaching practices.
- A secondary analysis of European, national and (selected) universities' strategies will be carried out with a focus on competences development. Recommendations will be prepared for instruments and strategies needed for modernising and organising curricula with a focus on effective learning methods.
- Procedures will be developed for continuous monitoring of the quality of higher education from the perspective of work environment and the higher education institutions for curricula upgrading.
- In every participating country there will be at least one presentation of the research findings for national policy makers and other stakeholders. In addition, there will be international presentations for the relevant organisations such as OECD, European Universities Association and European Commission.
- A web page will be established in order to facilitate the wider distribution of the results to the rectors of the larger universities in the participating countries and to the EU. Additional electronic dissemination of the results is also planned to large employers in each participating country.
Funded by: EAC-ERASMUS
Project homepage: http://www.hegesco.org/