European Inequalities: Social Inclusion and Income Distribution in the European Union
(2009. Edited by Terry Ward, Orsolya Lelkes, Holly Sutherland, István György Tóth; ISBN 978-963-7869-40-2; Budapest: TÁRKI Social Research Institute Inc.)
This book summarizes four years of research on social inclusion and income distribution across the European Union carried out in the framework of the European Observatory on the Social Situation and Demography, which has been established by the Directorate–General for Employment, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities of the European Commission. It gives an overview of the comparative information that is available for the EU Member States on income distribution, poverty and its causes, access to benefits and social services and material deprivation. It also offers a good insight into the potential of European surveys and notably the EU Statistics on Income and Living Conditions (EU-SILC), the main survey used for the analysis presented in this publication.
Authors of the book analysed various issues relating to income distribution and poverty, including the effect on inequalities of aspects other than income, such as benefits in kind, or social services more generally, or the need to cover essential costs like housing. It also examined non-monetary indicators of exclusion, such as material deprivation.
Over four years, the consortium — consisting of Applica in Brussels (leader), the European Centre for Social Welfare Policy and Research in Vienna, ISER at the University of Essex in the UK and TÁRKI Social Research Institute in Budapest — analysed various issues relating to income distribution and poverty, including the effect on inequalities of aspects other than income, such as benefits in kind, or social services more generally, or the need to cover essential costs like housing.
Table of Content
- Table of Content
- Introduction and Executive Summary
- Chapter 1 - Income Distribution and the Risk of Poverty
Orsolya Lelkes, Márton Medgyesi, István György Tóth and Terry Ward
- Chapter 2 - The Factors Affecting the Risk of Poverty and Inequalities in Income Distribution
Orsolya Lelkes, Márton Medgyesi and István György Tóth
- Chapter 3 - Vulnerable Groups: The Situation of People with Migrant Backgrounds
Orsolya Lelkes, Lucinda Platt and Terry Ward
- Chapter 4 - The Risk of Poverty and Income Distribution at the Regional Level
- Chapter 5 - Material Deprivation
- Chapter 6 - Economic Growth and Income Inequalities
Márton Medgyesi and István György Tóth
- Chapter 7 - The Effect of Taxes and Benefi ts on Income Distribution
Alari Paulus, Francesco Figari and Holly Sutherland
- Chapter 8 - Distributional Effects of Publicly Funded Childcare
Manos Matsaganis and Gerlinde Verbist
- Chapter 9 - Policy Developments Affecting Income Distribution, 2004-08
Manos Matsaganis and Péter Szivós
- Editors and Authors
Download the full-text book (pdf, 6,3 MB) from here.